Friday, December 31, 2010

Year End

It has been a good year and I have learned a lot.  There were several projects that I completed and others that I am still working on.  Some things that I have learned:
  • Make sure you read the directions.  I am very much a novice at this and cannot assume that I know the best way to do it.
  • There are several ways to do the same thing in wood working.  Do not limit one self to just one way.
  • I could make money doing this but not enough to support a family.  My family is more important than my hobby.  On the other side I can fund my hobby.  I did earn enough to buy my band saw.
  • I don't make a very good business owner.  I tend to give away more than I charge.  
  • Fixtures make a task much easier and there are several fixtures that I should make.  Now where to store the fixtures.
Here were some of my favorite projects:
  • The desk.  Even though it was green and I did not like the way the finish turned out, it is still one of my favorites.  It is these projects that keep my mind sharp and thinking.  This is a project that I designed and had to work though design problems.  If you want me to make something, I love a challenge, but I don't buy the wood.
  • The dominoes were my favorite toy this year.  Fun to build and paint and finish.  Maybe some day I will make the box that goes with them
  • The model T series was also fun.  It was this project that convinced me I needed a band saw.  I am just pleased how they turned out.
Tools aquired this year was just a band saw. I think I am done for a little while (don't tell my wife).  I will still need odds and ends and bits but as for major tools, I think I am good.  The last thing that I think I would use is a lathe.  If any of you have any suggestions let me know.  I always like adding to my wish list.

Goals for next year:
  • I was given a book called Marvelous Transforming Toys.  I want to make everything in this book this year.  I think my skills and accuracy will improve with these projects.  It is going to take a lot of time and some money.  I am open to monetary donations to fund my wood working addiction.  
  • There are three other toys that I would also like to make this year.  Those will be shown when they are finished. 
  • Over the past year I have learned that kids really like to play with the toys I make.  I am humbled by this and also feel sad.  I would like more kids to be able to enjoy these unique toys.  I hope to be able to open my house to let more kids play with these toys.  I don't plan on giving them away, I all ready do a lot of that.
  • I would like to do another major scroll saw project even though I am not finished with this years.  I am still learning and have become more proficient.  I can almost stay on the pattern line some of the time.  
  • There should be at least one design project again this year.  I do not know what it is, but it is something I enjoy doing.  Any suggestions?
  • I plan on spending more time with my family.  There are several things that I can do at my house and don't need to go to may parents garage every weekend.  I might even take a few more tools home with me.
This year was fun and I hope that next year will be better.  I hope that all who read this blog has a happy and prosperous year.

By the way,should I keep the scrap block give away?  Sometimes I think it is the only way to get people to read this blog.

1 comment:

  1. I must say that the desk was my favorite project too :-) I still need to take pics of it with the vinyl....Then you will see how stinking gorgeous it is, and you will then want to stain all your projects green!!!!

    ReplyDelete