The company I work for is launching a new line at one of the big home improvement stores and just did their production pilot. For the most part it went really well, however we could not take the pilot samples and put them into inventory. Largely because we machined the parts on the unfinished side of the plywood. A mistake that will not happen again. This line is kind of a step forward for us. The carcass is made out of plywood and the features are a little more decorative then we normally do. I am actually really please how this line turned out and excited to see what it is capable of doing in the market place. So what happened to all the samples, they were sold to employees for a bargain price. I picked up enough to do two of the bathrooms. So here are the before pictures:
I knew there would be challenges but not ones I was expecting. The demo was pretty straight forward. The hardest part was getting the tops out of the bathroom. A hammer made that job a lot easier. The second challenge was the connections from the wall to the faucet. I replaced all the hoses because honestly the solid metal ones are prone to cracking while out of the house. I had a 1/2" compression fitting out of the wall and a 1/2" fitting to the faucet. I purchased the 1/2x1/2 flip valve and the 1/2x1/2 hoses to redo the plumbing. I guess "flip" means the the threads are smaller than 1/2" so my hoses did not fit and I had to go back to the store for new hoses. The good news is that I had not installed the sinks yet so changing was not a big issue.
Next major issue was the P-trap. Same size cabinet in should mean the same plumbing in. Nope. The cabinets I put in are 4" taller than the original. I thought just a simple extension. Nope. The contractors who put in the plumbing put in the bathtub plumbing and everything was glued in except the P-trap. So I re-plumbed everything. In hind sight, I should have plumbed it correctly rather than using the bathtub fixtures again. It all works and no leaks.
I am actually disappointed that I could not do the master bathroom also. They did not pilot any units in the profile I wanted for the upstairs bathroom. The extra 4" in height makes a huge difference. My first install of a bathroom was not too bad. I was surprised how easy the cabinets went in. All I have to do now is install hardware and touch up.