- Idea generation
- Non furniture related items
- One hour of free babysitting
- Random items that seem to be expensive everywhere else, like cutting board oil.
This week I cut up the book shelves that started me on this incredible journey. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to ceremoniously burn the solid wood pieces. It lasted 17 years and I am surprised it lasted that long. I really liked brad nails and drywall screws at the time. The funny thing is that I specifically remember buying the fine thread drywall screws when I was tearing the face frame apart. My son help cut the sides down and throw the pieces away.
Here are a couple of interesting tidbits about this project that are fun facts. The height of the units are 29 1/2" tall. This is the standard height of a desk. In the near future I will be putting a top on them. Each of my kids will have a desk when they are ready. I pre-finished all the parts. This was a pain to mask off all the grooves and edges but it paid off in the end. Sanding everything in the flat was a huge benefit even though it took up the entire garage to finish them. I used plastic barbed dowels in the back rails. This way I could use my clamps to hold the face frame in place. And the most interesting parts, at least for me, was this project cost me less than the original book shelves including the bins. The toy shelves have more storage space. Here are the key reasons for the cost difference, I buy my lumber at a lumber yard not a big box store, I now know more about yielding material, and I use 1/2" ply instead of 3/4" ply and that saved a lot on weight.
This is what my kids did to the shelves after they were put in the toy room: