Thursday, February 23, 2017

The new camping box

 I have been working on this project for over a year now.  It was a Facebook find and so I built one.  I am not sure were original concept came from because it was a while ago. This project tested my skills on grooving parts on a router.  Lots of setup and time was spent on the project.  When I realized that I was not going to make it for last year’s camping season I put it in the corner to work on something else.
Now I am trying to finish up past projects this year and this was one of them.  It isn’t quite complete but I don’t know if I am going to put the table top on it.  It is really heavy as it is.  It uses about a ½ sheet of ¾ ply and a sheet of ½ ply.  That alone is heavy.  The goal was to put all the cooking and setup things in one box.  And they all fit which makes it even heavier.  I am sort of happy how it turned out.  This was one of the projects were the vision was much grander than the finished project.  I put a lot of the gimmicky stuff together without a real plan and I think it shows.  It is a camping box.
I was not looking for finish quality on this project so I did not remove excess glue and the parts are really not sanded.  It is going to be fun to see how it works out on our first camping trip of the summer.
Sorry this was started long before I got into instructables and I was not really planning on sharing the plans for this project.  Most of the stuff needs to be custom made any way.  It is tough to fit all stoves and all plates and all bowls etc.  for individual needs.  If you want the carcass drawings I will be more than happy to provide them, just email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment