Sunday, April 3, 2022

Kid's Workbench

In preparation of making my own work bench, I made a smaller one for kids.  I used an old kitchen island wood top that I had acquired some  time ago.  The other wood and was gathered from scrap and trash from work.  The only cost that I had in the bench was hardware and labor, which was  not cheap.  It was a good practice and design check for my workbench I hope to make later this year.  Here are the highlights of the project:

  • First of all this was designed around the height of my youngest.  It is a little taller than it should be for him.  He does think it is his now.  Kids are taller than I first thought.  My bench is going to be 35".  I am six feet (almost).  Half of 48" is 24".  Good thing I tested before assembly.  I added another 3" to it and made it a better height.
  • Drawers are shallow for a reason.  I don't want a lot of stuff in them.  It is mainly for kids and storage of their tools.  I am hoping to put foam with cutouts for all the tools.  This is a project for another day.
  • When making five piece side make sure the glides span the two verticals.  I did not check and had to set my glides back 3/4" so I could attach them.  Not impossible, just make the task more difficult.  
  • The only drawer that was designed for a purpose was the paint drawer.  All other drawers were made with the same height drawers.  This may not have been the best idea as some tools don't fit as well.  My bench will have more specific drawers and design.
  • I purchased a mobile base from Grizzly Tools.  I am pleased with the result.  It does roll smoothly and carries the weight.  my only complaint is that it does not work well with 3/4" board.  It says that it will work with 1/2-1 1/4 board but the screws for the 3/4" board drag on the floor every once in a while.  The 1/2" board works great.  Since I screwed the base also into the work bench frame I am not concerned about bowing of the base.
  • I also purchased t-track from Rockler and some of the accessories.  I put this around  the parameter of the bench to make a cheap set of vices.  I did not leave enough material below the track for the clamps to work well.  This is something that I will remedy with my bench.  

It is not the best work I have done but it does function.  My youngest is happy with it.  It is a good addition to the shop as I start working with more kids.  I enjoy the mobility of the bench and the storage it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment