Sunday, June 20, 2010

The tug boats

Well I have made enough of these tug boats I should probably write about them. This is the last set I made. I am working on some scroll saw puzzles that are proving to be more trouble than I imagined. The cool thing is I was able to purchase some exotic lumber. Yes, I did cause some deforestation.
The exotic woods are displayed above: purple heart, lace wood, lypus, yellow heart, and walnut (not an exotic but my wife likes this wood). I will probably never buy this wood again, except the walnut. They are all really nice looking woods with good color. My favorite is probably the lace wood. The yellow heart was definitely yellow but kind of plain, but had an interesting smell. Yes, woods have distinct smells. The yellow heart smelled like pepper when cutting into it. This wood is also very hard. It actually destroyed the template and bushing guide I used to cut out the center of the tug boat. Now I have to make another template.

The story of the Tug Boat
This was one of the first projects I made from the Making Heirloom Toys book. It was a pine base with a poplar scrap header from work planed down to 3/8". I made three and I don't think I have any of the originals. I have had several people come up to me and ask how much they cost and to this day I have not sold one. I think my price is too expensive or too cheap. For the most part you have to go though child birth (it is received at the baby shower). Or I have given them away - right place right time sort of thing. They are usually made out of scrap wood or planks that are too short to be of any use. I have been having fun making them and will continue to do so. I also put an extra coat of polyurethane on them so they slide really well on carpet. They are not balanced or finished for the water, but sand is ok.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, so how much would a walnut one be? I'm used to the cost of handmade wooden toys, so It shouldn't shock me too much. And I'd want it left unfinished, so I could use a beeswax mixture on it. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boats for sale in Cypus |Yachting Cyprus| https://www.bpyachting.com/ professionally and proudly offers a vast selection of mega yachts, yachts, cruisers, power and sailing boats of any needs. We have offices and showrooms (in both Cyprus and Lebanon) that include famous yacht brands Azimut, Sea Ray and Elan. Blue Point Yachting, draws on the collective experience of its Directors, Managers, sales and after sales staff to offer our fine clientele a wealth of knowledge in the industry of pleasure boating. The company pledge its services second to none, with a 1st class award from Azimut shipyard in 2011 (“SERVITIUM NULLI SECUNDUS” - “Service second to none”). On Jan 16th 2014 at Dusseldorf, during the Sea Ray Dealers Meeting, Brunswick announced, that our company had become a FIVE STAR DEALER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Villas for rent in Cyprus , Ayia Napa, Protaras, have just been checked by our professional team at https://www.rentvillacyprus.net/ and are expecting you and your family for an unforgettable holiday. Enjoy 360 days a year of Cyprus sunshine!! ........................

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rent a Car Larnaca Airport from https://www.cosmoscarrental.com/ …………………

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acoustics Cyprus and Acoustic Materials Cyprus are professionally supported by https://www.phiacoustics.com

    ReplyDelete