I was asked a little over a month ago to make a cubby shelf unit for a preschool. The owner pretty much had the design they wanted which made it a lot easier than designing the unit from scratch.
I also worried about how I was going to put it together. The largest claps I have are 48" bar clamps and these units were going to be 60" long. I thought about stringing claps together but that used up clamps fast. I ended up borrowing 60" pipe claps from work. They worked great.
The next was the finishing. There were a lot of areas that were going to be very difficult to finish after everything was assembled. I decided to pre-finish the parts. I went through an entire role of masking tape to mask off all the grooves and glue joints. It took forever. I did everything but the outside faces. I probably should have pre-finished everything. I will say it was a pain to mask everything off and then take all the tape off, but is was in the end easier to pre-finish than it would have been to finish the assembled units.
Overall it was a good project. I only made a couple of mistakes and all but one was covered up well. it is a pretty sturdy unit which should last a long time. Everything is grooved into place. I also arched the frame rails just because I could. I am kind of tired of the square look so I wanted to try something different. It was interesting to use the drum sander on the long arches. There must be a trick to getting one smooth arch. I think I would push too hard because the arched went bumpy. It took a little while to sand out the bumps.
The build was fun, I think toys are more my thing.