Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Do you want to learn?

As this year comes to a close I am looking forward to next year and what I would like to accomplish.  This year was more about the business aspect and it was a very interesting year.  Next year is going to focus more on teaching.  Lowe’s recently (last year) decided not to continue with their Build and Grow series so next year I am going to hopefully have six designs that kids can build.  I will get into this project on a later post.
I wanted to share an idea that I had last night.  My club recently received a load of wood for making toys.  The idea last night was to allow others to the experience of making toys for charity on the scroll saw.  It would be a good year to try this.  The lumber, the wheels and axles, glue, and sandpaper are all donated.  I figure the cost would be for the blades, painters tape, and finish.  I would also like it if they would join the club because they are donating the wheels and axles. I figure the cost of everything including dues to the club is about $50.
The project would be making toys for the charities that the Inland Empire Scroll Saw and Woodworking Association work with.  I figured each person could make between 10-25 cars, a couple of puzzles and a couple of tug boats.  All toys would be donated at the November meeting.  I imagine it would take about 60-80 hours of work to make 25 cars, a couple of puzzles, and tug boats. 
I would supply all the plans and the equipment.  I only have one scroll saw so it would have to be shared. At the end of the year/process, the individuals would know the basics of a scroll saw and have the plans for the cars and tug boat.  They will also have brought smiles to kids.  I don't think I would have scheduled times individuals would have to meet. It would be more of an open shop during certain times and people could comes when they could.
The tools that we would be using are the scroll saw, drill press, belt sander, and palm sander.  These are safe machines if used appropriately.  I would open my shop so that tools can be used and projects completed.  Each person is responsible for their own protective equipment.  Safety glasses are a must and hearing protection is recommended.  A respirator is recommended, but dust masks are strongly advised while sanding.
This is still a developing idea but this is how I think it would go.  There would be an orientation class on the basics of a scroll saw and a practice board.  The first project would be the tug boats, then cars and then conclude with the puzzles.  Age group would be 12 years and up.    Please let me know if you are interested.

The donation meeting this year is on November 21 at 5:30 if you would like to see what the group does.  The location is 16850 San Bernardino Ave., Fontana 92335. It takes about 45 minutes from Pomona due to traffic.  Please let me know if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment