Saturday, January 19, 2019

Triton Router


So I was able to use the triton router for more than just some profiling.   I needed to make some sides for the bench that I am refurbishing.  This required making a template and copying it to the solid panels for the sides.  Besides the epic setup fails the router worked great.  Quick grip clamps do not have the holding strength to hold the pattern in place while routing.
I have the TRA001 3 ¼ hp model.  There is plenty of power in the router.  I was cutting 1” oak and it did not bog down.  Probably the best example of power but it is more than enough for me.  Here are some of the features that I really liked.  The soft start:  It a slow start so there was not a lot of torque twisting out of my hands at the beginning.  Single wrench bit changing:  It is always nice to only need one wrench to change the bit and I did not have to hold a button to lock the spindle.  The ease of taking it on and off the table: I have to loosen a couple of thumb screws and the router can be unlocked from the table.  It is the same with putting it back on.
Here are a couple of things that I noticed and took a little while to figure out.  The router is not intuitive to use.  The spindle locks only when the bit is fully extended which locks the spindle and the bit is able to be removed.  The depth adjustment takes a little bit of getting used to.  There is an indexing and a plunge setting that take a little bit to get used to.
I am looking forward to trying out the table and all the features of the precision fence system.

1 comment:

  1. After spending some time reading your article on Triton Router, I got to say you, hello! I think it’ll save me serious time doing the research for one of the resources for our community as well as the website- Sandersreview.

    ReplyDelete