Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Class is Out



I will have to say it was a great first attempt.  I learned a lot about interests and expectations of the students.  One of the biggest things I came away with was that not everyone needs or wants to know the details that I have learned.  I wanted to teach them the little things that I have learned that really has no bearing on what they are doing.  These topics included wood milling, defects, purchasing and cuts.  Really they want to make saw dust.  It was evident when they would “practice” on scrap pieces. 
I made detailed power points presentations to present information.  I learned quickly that this was boring and not very interactive.  I acted on this information a little later and stopped doing them.  They became more lesson plans than what was used to teach.  I think the lessons went better after I made that change.  I will still need to have the initial lessons on power point because of the amount of information the remaining will be in a shop environment.
Timing was also something that may or may not have been improved upon.  I could not have changed the day of the week, even though I knew it was not the best day of the week.  It was the only day of the week that worked for my family.  I need a second adult at the house for two reasons.  First, I have kids that will be all over the place and second, for safety.  Next year I will probably change the start time to August and end around Thanksgiving.  The holidays just got too crazy and I did not have as many open lab days because of soccer and craft fairs.
The projects were applicable and at an appropriate skill level.  We did not get to the step stool or the rubber band car.  Part of it was learning the timing of the class and the other part was the holidays.   I really liked how the car launchers came out.  We are still working on the toys.  Everyone got into the scroll saw and the puzzles.
I have a feeling the class size is a little large for the equipment and size of garage I have.  I think a class size of five would be better.  I am comfortable with the age group I had: fifth grade and up.  My second grade son was part of the class and did really well.  The problem came in with fractions and problem solving.  He actually made all the projects himself. 
I did assign some homework and I did get some returned.  I really did not require it so I understand why it was not taken seriously.  I did get some good feedback.  I probably should put a little more emphasis on it and track it.

No comments:

Post a Comment