Wednesday, January 15, 2020

My Last Project in California


Phone Stands

 My last project in the current shop was a couple of cell phone holders.  I have done one in the past but this time I cut out a butterfly on the top of it.  The other was an easel that proved to be more complicated that I had hoped.  The size of the easel made the angles very shallow and I did not want to feel like it was going to fall over.  The other thing that I did not realize was the dimensions of the stock.  I originally went with 5/8” thick stock but that looked too thick, but ½” was too narrow to hold the phone.  I actually needed to be creative to make the ledge look thinner than it actually was.  That is what angles are for. 
The tricky part was the drilling the holes.  I drilled one and then used tape and super glue to hold it all together to make sure all the holes lined up.  It actually worked really well.  This was a lot of compound angles.  For the most part I sanded to a line.  The project made me think a lot about the angles and order of operations.

No comments:

Post a Comment