Friday, May 29, 2020

Bedroom Furniture: Nightstand


This was a quarantine project.  I had purchased the lumber for the project just before the shelter in place order had been issued.  This is what I would consider fine furniture, which is out of my comfort zone.  I had determined that this bedroom furniture was going to try out more traditional joinery.  This would be mortise and tenons and dove tails.

I worked with my wife on the design and material selection.  We like the simple clean design, so we went with a mission style look.  There were aspects of the aesthetics that were not decided until we started putting the parts together.  My wife liked the red-brown tone, so we went with cherry wood.  Which I am grateful for, because walnut would have been expensive.  Some of the design features I wanted to incorporate a couple of things.  The first was putting in a USB outlet. The second was open/slatted sides. 

The USB outlet was simple, but I made it complicated.  I did not want a cord hanging down the back of the cabinet.  I hollowed out the back of one of the legs and then put in a piece that was cutout in the middle to house the cord.  After the sides were put together, I dilled into the hollowed-out section to pull the cord through.  I realized before drilling that my tenons went through the hollowed-out section, so I needed to rethink where my holes where located.  Installation was harder than I wanted, but easier than expected.  I took string and put it in one hole and with a vacuum and sucked it out the other end.  Then I used the string to pull through the wiring for the USB charging port.  The wires are connected back together and then connections are put together using heat shrink tubes. 

The slatted walls were done by grooving the rails and then putting slats in the groove.  It really was not very difficult, and I simplified a lot of the details.  There are small pieces that needed to be put in the spaces between the slats.  I cut out the curves on the scroll saw so there was a top and bottom to the parts and they were unique to each pair.  I my try to use the router and a template for the next time.




There was a fair amount of learning from this project because this is not a type of woodworking that I do.  Here are some of the key insights:
  • The legs have dimension.  When cutting all my rails I cut them to the width and depth of the nightstand.  I am grateful I figured out the mistake before gluing it all together. It allowed me to practice forming my tenons again.
  • Rough lumber is not as scary as I thought it would be.  I could only get rough lumber and I have never worked with it.  There are some things that I have had to take into consideration.  The first is surfacing it then putting a straight edge on it.  It is not as difficult as a thought it would be.  It is not like the stuff I got from work a few years back. 
  • Tenons don’t need to be supper long.  I made them one inch long.  They were going into 1 ½” legs.  I should have made them 5/8” long.  The tenons were not that difficult; it was the mortises.  They were a pain to clean out.  I will also make them wider than 5/16” next time.  The rails are ¾”+ thick.
  • Epoxy: I don’t know.  It is the first-time using epoxy and it does fill in gaps.  It was a little messy and there was a fair amount of waste.  I have to say the joints are strong.
  • Dove tails are easier to cut on a scroll saw.  I cut a couple of test ones out by hand.  I learned quickly that a cheap coping saw is no good for cutting out waste.  It was a pain and the blade moved everywhere.  It was easy to set the angle and cut on a scroll saw.  It is probably the same on a bandsaw.  Now if I just put the pins and tails on the correct part. 
  • Rulers and tape measures become scales.  I have known this for some time, but it really came out in this build.  I needed to keep with in my constraints of height, width and depth.  Thickness of the boards was when all the saw marks were removed with a planer.  Groove thickness was based on what looked good.  Parts changed as things were put together.  The measuring devices were used more for consistency purposes rather than getting to a specific measurement.  That being said, I still depend heavily on my tape measure.
  • Good joinery makes the assembly a lot easier.  The nightstands came out square and I did not have to worry about making sure all the parts were at the same spacing because all of that was planned for in the joinery.

Overall I am pleased with the look and design.  My wife choose the hardware and it looks better than the ones I was looking at.  Now onto the computer table.

No comments:

Post a Comment