Monday, December 5, 2016

2017 Christmas Ornament

I found next year's ornament early on and so I have already started cutting it out.  This year the wood is pine.  I have had problems in the past with blow out and chipping on the back side.  I had some 1/8" hardboard so I decided to put a backers on the stacks in hopes to minimize the chip out.  It worked, but I had these ornaments of thin board.  I could just throw them away, but I decided to practice on them.  I wanted to try something else in my air brush other than shellac.  I found some pearl gold air brush paint at a local craft store.  I used 1/2 a bottle on the nine ornaments.  Looking back, I do not think my settings were correct.  The paint was a lot thinner than than shellac.  I should have dialed back the amount of paint going through the nozzle.  They turned out ok.  The paint was not as consistent as I would have hoped, but that is my fault.

This weekend was not as optimal as would have hoped.  I had a lot of finishing to do and several projects are presents.  This was the last finishing day I had before they needed to be shipped out.  While I was setting up in the morning I heard a loud weird noise.  Looked around and did not see anything out of the ordinary and continued to set up.  The neighbor across from us was setting up for a yard sale and came over.  He asked if I knew there was a downed power line in our yard.  Upon inspection there was a downed line in our backyard.  The live end was in the neighbor's yard, but my yard was still off limits.  We went and did a couple of things as a family.  When we came back, the wire was cut back but not repaired.  Good news was the power was still on.  So I started my finishing.  Half way through my first coat the power was cut.  They estimated it would be turned back on at 8:30 in the evening.  I used what air I had in my compressor to clean my air brush and clean up.  Now I have to figure out how I am going to finish these presents in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment