Thursday, December 8, 2016

Salt Lake Temple Portrait

A couple of months ago I was asked to cut out the Salt Lake Temple.  I was not sure even how to start or where I could get a pattern. I am active on a couple of forums so I posted the question with a picture of the Salt Lake temple on it. Less than 24 hours later I had a pattern in my hand.  Honestly I didn’t think I could do it.  There were a lot of small cuts and looked like it would take more time and effort I wanted to put in.  Someone had taken the time to create the pattern for me so the least I could do would be to make an effort to cut it out.  One plus side was that I needed to by some tools for the project.  Granted it was new blades and a mini drill bit set. 
So I cut out my blanks of 1/8” birch ply wood.  I stacked cut two out.  I have learned that I do not have as much control cutting out a single sheet of 1/8” material.  I started drilling and cutting.  I quickly learned that I had to slow the saw down a couple of steps.  I learned a little late, but it was ok, to cut out the small pieces before cutting out the larger sections.  The larger cut outs reduced the strength of the part and the board would vibrate with the blade when cutting out the smaller sections.  I only cut through a couple of parts and no one will know where. 
Cutting was one challenging part.  The next part was peeling off the pattern.  This was another reason why I cut two.  I did not have to worry about the pattern on the second piece.  Taking the painter’s tape of carefully was a challenge but it was true to its name and came off easily.  It was actually sturdier than I thought it would be.  The backer was painted black and glued to the portrait. 
I enjoyed the challenge but I think it will be a little white before I do another portrait.  I may not do a building again.  The straight lines caused me a little grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment