Thursday, December 29, 2016

Cab Over and Two Trailers



I think this is the final set in the semi-truck line.  I have the standard cab, the sleeper and now the cab-over.  Then in trailers there is the belly loader, flat bed, the car carrier and now the box trailer and the tanker.  I know there are many more that I can make, but I am happy with this set.  The box trailer is pretty much straight forward.  The only tricky part is the doors and that is just to make sure they fit.  I did try in the original design to have a roll up door.  I could not get to a simple solution and there were some crazy solutions. 
The tanker is also another box, but the angles were not that easy to visualize and cut.  There are three cuts at each corner: one 45 and two 22.5.  I then sanded the edges to round them out a little.  I thought about keeping the edges crisp but then thought these are toys and they are going to be beat up. The two trailers were a quick fun build for me. 
The cab was something that I wanted to do but did not know how to make it look right.  With the two piece grill from the sweeper the cab finally looked right.  I wanted to have the cab flip up on the garbage truck but just could not make it happen.  So I just moved it to this project.  I like it in concept.  I don’t know if I like it in the toy.  My complaint is that when someone picks up the cab the chassis will rotate.  I knew it would happen and we still caught off guard a few times.  The trailers are 18 x 8 x 6 inches and the cab is 12 x 6 x 7 inches.  The total length of the trucks are over 25 inches.





No comments:

Post a Comment