I was kind of tired of my make shift cut off cart. It was a modified tool cart that I used in my original garage and was no longer needed when I moved into a place with a slightly larger garage. I was finally done with it and designed this one.
This was probably one of the fastest projects I have ever done. From start to finish it took about 4 hours. It took me about an hour to draw and dimension it out, 20 minutes to program (yes, I used a CNC router), 40 minutes to cut and rout parts, and two hours to assemble. This cart needed to hold all my small parts that are not yet destined to become blocks and all my dowels. It serves most of the function I designed it for. It does not work well with wide stock. There were a couple of take away points from this project.
The first is that my garage shop does not need to look like a beautiful masterpiece of all that I can do. Let's face it, I make toys and utility cabinetry. Yes, some of my stuff is nice but it is nowhere near fine furniture. This cart is made out of particle board. It is cheap and will will work. I did not bother hiding grooves and glue squeeze out.
I was not looking for quality work. I was confident that the CNC router did its job accurately and I did not have to worry about things fitting together. I wanted to counter sink the screws but could not find my bit. The joys of kids. Screws stick out a little and that is ok. I have found my countersink bit and am not going to go back through to sink the heads of the screws.
Material was not really a concern. If I had my choice I would make it out of plywood. I did not need to so why spend the money. This was going to be for my eyes only anyway. I needed it to support the weight so 5/8" particle board was sufficient.
I knew what I wanted this cart to do. It was to hold off fall and my dowels. It does that. Looking back at the design I may have wanted to make it 2" wider to handle wider stock. Not a big deal. I am please with the way it turned out.
The last take away, more on the light side, was make sure there is plenty of glue in the bottle. I had about a 1/3 of a bottle of glue and figured that was enough. I was wrong, just barely. I was gluing the sides to the partitions (last step) and on the last glue line and ran out. I was shaking the bottle and trying to get every last drop out before the glue skins over. The good thing is that I buy glue by the gallon so it was just a refill thing. I was lucky.
Glad this project is complete. Now I need to make a sanding cart (my next shop project). This one is going to take a little longer.